Everyone thinks they could run their own wrestling company, but we’re determined to prove it, with the Wrestling On Earth Fantasy Draft!
Making their picks in the following order will be:
You can see the draft’s introduction and rules here. The picks so far are:
- Round One: Daniel Bryan, John Cena, CM Punk, Jeff Hardy.
- Round Two: Gedo, Brock Lesnar, Sami Zayn, Dean Ambrose.
- Round Three: Christian, Kevin Steen, Prince Devitt, Seth Rollins.
- Round Four: Shelton Benjamin, The Young Bucks, Austin Aries, AJ Styles.
- Round Five: Shane Strickland, Antonio Cesaro, reDRagon, Bobby Roode.
- Round Six: Samoa Joe, Bad Influence, Ricochet, Gail Kim.
- Round Seven: Davey Boy Smith Jr., American Wolves, Akira Tozawa, Time Splitters.
- Round Eight: Forever Hooligans, William Regal, Chuck Taylor & Johnny Gargano, Sheamus.
- Round Nine: Athena, Adam Cole, Big E. Langston, Jay Lethal.
- Round Ten: Jessicka Havok, AJ Lee, Kana, Jeremy Borash.
- Round Eleven: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Joseph Park Esq., Nigel McGuinness, Mike Bennett.
Let the twelfth (and final) round begin!
Wrestling On Earth Fantasy Draft: Round Twelve
Brad’s pick: TYSON KIDD
(Earth note: TJ Wilson IS Tyson Kidd. We promise.)
TJ Wilson is what I call a diamond that was treated very rough. He is a very solid in ring match technician and has the aerial abilities much like Tanahashi.
While he has not demonstrated talking or been involved in big angles in pro wrestling, I feel Wilson has the mat skills and is so exciting that it makes up for what he lacks in mic skills. Wilson is a guy who can be molded into something I believe will be great.
Tom’s pick: PAUL LONDON
Paul London is kind of a sentimental pick, but also kind of not. Every encounter I’ve had with him has been completely uplifting because he’s such a nice, engaging guy (even while he was still in his ring gear playing with a puppy on a street in Manhattan outside), but he’s also a wrestler that’s able to be a highlight on every card he’s on.
All of his matches are really fun (just look to his recent bouts with Kevin Steen in PWG and Davey Richards in ROH for examples), his character and promos are amazing and there’s a feeling of excitement and spontaneity whenever he’s around.
I’d also pay whatever The Flaming Lips want so we can use ‘Watching the Planets’ for his entrance, which would be a featured part of every show (with guaranteed free cake / kazoos for the crowd):
Tim’s pick: JIGSAW
I picked Jigsaw because he is great. Why else would I pick someone? Also, I’m a sucker for masked wrestlers. People buy masks. That’s money. Give me your money. But really, Jigsaw is super talented.
I think he gets overlooked a lot more than he should when it comes to talking about the best guys on the indie scene. His character is one of a few Chikara characters that can fit easily in regular promotions and I think would be a great addition to my roster.
typicalROHfan’s pick: MVP
As mentioned in the prior round, always try to find a safe bet late to round out your roster. Mine is MVP. One of the boats missed in WWE was MVP when he was at his peak. He has a superstar presence and a style that can work with most types of wrestlers. My favorite feuds from him were with Matt Hardy and Masato Tanaka. Quite the contrast of wrestlers.
Recently I watched a match of his vs. Sami Callihan from House of Hardcore and I thought it was stellar. It was a nice reminder how good MVP is and how I wish he was on more shows in the US indy scene or back in WWE. Add in the veteran role and ability to teach younger wrestlers, MVP is a great last pick of the draft.